Admin | 12 Aug, 2022
CNG vs Petrol Vs Diesel Cars – Which One Should You Opt For?
The question of CNG or petrol or diesel car to buy has been a long debated one. One thing that has become more evident nowadays is that the future of diesel cars is bleak.
Reducing the carbon footprint is of paramount importance. To offer a healthy and clean world to future generations. With that perspective, diesel cars may not be an advisable option. Leading car manufacturers like Maruti Suzuki have discontinued many of their diesel models. Government is also not welcoming diesel cars, for reducing the emissions that are harmful to the environment.
Still, we would compare CNG, petrol and diesel cars for you to have a clear idea about the variants and the right one to opt for. Notwithstanding, skyrocketing fuel prices are a prime factor when deciding the car to buy.
Consider These While Comparing CNG Vs Petrol Vs Diesel
You may ask the following questions to yourself and to your family members before further analysing the variant to buy. Your decision would depend on the answers to these questions.
1. What is the purpose of the car you are buying?
- For going to an office
- Family requirements
- Daily commutation
- Taxi service
- For a few years
- For the entire lifetime of the vehicle
- Until the car becomes unusable
3. How much might the fuel expenditure be in a month?
4. Who else in the family is going to use the car?
5. How much are you planning to spend on the maintenance of the car per month?
Maintenance Aspects of CNG, Petrol and Diesel Cars
Normally, petrol cars are maintenance friendly. The expenses for the maintenance of petrol cars are minimal compared to both the other types.
The factors about maintenance of petrol, CNG and diesel cars are:
- Petrol cars are maintenance friendly
- The cost of spares for petrol cars is lower compared to diesel and CNG
- Diesel cars have complex engine components
- The repair and maintenance costs of diesel cars are high compared to petrol cars
- CNG cars will have a petrol option as well. Nonetheless, the maintenance cost of the CNG kit is high
- Frequent inspection is necessary in the case of CNG cars, to rule out leakage or other defects
- At times, the maintenance costs of CNG cars are higher than petrol and diesel cars
You can refer to this blog to know more about low-maintenance cars.
Advantages of Petrol, Diesel and CNG Cars
The below table would give you an idea about the advantages of each type of car.
|Petrol Cars||Diesel Cars||CNG Cars|
|The cost of a petrol car is normally lower than the other two||Running costs are lower than a petrol car||High fuel economy (mileage)|
|Comfortable to drive||Comfortable for long-distance travel||Low fuel expenses|
|Stable power output ||Higher longevity than a petrol car||Monthly fuel expenditure will be much lower than diesel and petrol|
|Maintenance-friendly||Fuel expense is lower than a petrol car||Low on emission|
Disadvantages of Petrol, Diesel and CNG Cars
|Petrol Cars||Diesel Cars||CNG Cars|
|Fuel expense is higher than both diesel and CNG||Higher carbon emissions, hence bad for the environment||Low performance compared to both the other cars|
|Mileage is lower than both diesel and CNG||The government is planning to discontinuation of diesel cars in a phased manner||Slow response on acceleration (pickup)|
|Increasing fuel prices may impact your budget||Costlier than petrol cars||CNG fueling stations are fewer. Hence you may have to search for the same at times|
|May not be advisable for daily use||The engine requires more maintenance than a petrol car||Higher maintenance cost|
|Petrol and diesel price has only a minor difference. Therefore, you need to drive it extensively to break even the extra money paid for buying the car||Meagre or no boot space|